When temperatures in Bakersfield easily reach into the hundreds on a regular basis, lawn care is one of those projects that you just can’t seem to win, especially if you want full, thick grass and lush green landscaping. These landscapes take a lot of maintenance, care, and water in order to keep them thriving. In this hot climate, it’s essential that you work in some native grasses and possibly even some hardscaping if you want to take that route to minimize the amount of time and money you’re spending on maintenance. But for people who want the best of both worlds (a green landscape that takes minimal care), home and business owners have turned to synthetic turf. Located in Bakersfield and serving the surrounding California communities, Kern Turf Supply can help you create the look you’re trying to achieve for your landscape, whether it’s a playground, golf course, or your backyard.
When shopping for synthetic grass, there are a surprising number of options to consider. At Kern Turf Supply, we have the resources, knowledge, and experience to give you a number of options that will fit your needs. We can provide you with two brands, Easy Turf and Smart Turf, of artificial turf that are easy to care for, saves you money, and lasts longer than traditional grass. So before you make the final decision for your lawn, learn more about the different types of synthetic grass.
If you’re looking for a strong, durable grass, nylon is one of the strongest. It’s also a great option for the Bakersfield climate because it can stand up to the high temperatures and there is a lower risk of the grass losing its shape and getting matted down. However, the strands have a stiff feeling so don’t expect a natural feel to the touch. Because of the stiffness, homeowners rarely choose this type unless they want a space to practice their putting. It is commonly used for golf courses. The strength and durability also come at a cost — nylon synthetic turf is one of the more expensive.
This type is one of the more popular varieties because it has a natural look with bright green colors and natural feeling texture. With the proper care and a higher end polyethylene, the grass is long-lasting and durable. It’s also a great option for homeowners who have pets, as it won’t absorb odors. Caring for the grass includes brushing or raking the strands to keep them standing tall. Overall, polyethylene synthetic grass looks and feels natural, but be sure to select a product that will withstand abuse as lower quality products can wear down more easily.
While this type is the least expensive, it’s also the least durable. This synthetic grass will more quickly break down due to extreme heat and everyday wear and tear. Over time, the grass will begin to lose its shape and the strands of grass will become matted down in high traffic areas. This variety can work well when you simply want an accent piece in your home or want a small space outside to practice golfing.
- Short: If you go too short, it may not look as natural.
- Medium: The typical grass is between 30mm and 37mm, which is high enough to look natural, but not too high so it’s hard to stand or walk on.
- Long: The longer the strands are, the more difficult it will be for people and pets to walk on.
Features to Look For
- UV-Stabilized: Over time, the sun can fade the color of the grass.
- Urethane Backing: The backing of the grass will determine how easily moisture drains through to prevent bacteria. It also affects the durability of the grass.
- Non-Absorbent Fiber: Choose a product that won’t absorb odors or moisture.
- Heat-Resistant: As we’ve mentioned before, extreme temperatures can break down the grass quicker.
- Non-Flammable: If people are going to grill on the grass, it’s best to play it safe and choose a fire-resistant material.
- Varied Color Blades: Various shades of green will give the grass a more natural look.
- Perforation: Perforations in the backing will allow moisture to drain through easier, preventing puddles.
- Non-Staining: You worry enough about the carpet inside the house, you shouldn’t have to worry about spilling wine on your grass too.
If you’re in the market for synthetic grass, Kern Turf Supply in Bakersfield has a variety of options and will install the product perfectly in your yard, golf course, or football field. Get in touch with our landscaping team today to learn more!